Our History


Take a look at where we’ve been over the last 65+ years…and where we’re going.

Timeline


Join us on a journey of joy, and see for yourself how the Foundation has changed and grown.


1951

Atlanta’s four largest banks create the Metropolitan Foundation of Atlanta: Citizens and Southern National (C&S), First National, Fulton National and Trust Company of Georgia. The Foundation makes 119 grants totaling more than $450,000 to nonprofit groups in Atlanta.

1959

The Foundation names its first executive director, A. B. Padgett, and establishes offices in the Candler Building.

1963

The Foundation provides funding and staff support for Atlanta’s Community Research and Planning Council.

1970

The Foundation makes more than $1.2 million in grants to local nonprofits. Frank Robinson joins as executive director, and headquarters move to the Healey Building.

1977

The Foundation becomes a corporate entity. Federal tax regulations clarify donor-advised funds, causing their popularity to soar. Volume of new funds and additional gifts to donor-advised funds bring Foundation assets to $7 million. Foundation names Alicia Philipp as executive director, and—nearly 40 years later—she continues to serve as president of the Community Foundation.

1980

Starts training sessions for nonprofits that evolve into the Nonprofit Resource Center, now the Georgia Center for Nonprofits, a separate nonprofit organization devoted to nonprofit effectiveness.

1984

The Foundation establishes the annual Managing for Excellence Award to recognize governance and managerial achievements of local nonprofit organizations.

1990–1995

The Community Foundation develops and nurtures a number of wildly successful funds—including the Neighborhood Fund, Atlanta AIDS Partnership Fund, the Atlanta Women’s Fund and the Metropolitan Atlanta Arts Fund, as well as local funds in Cobb, Clayton, North Fulton, Henry and Fayette counties.

1997

Corporate name changes to the Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta, along with new logo and offices.

1998

The Foundation increases emphasis on planned giving, with stronger outreach to professional advisors, enhanced corporate communications and staffed donor services. Planned giving assets reach $334 million.

2000-2004

The Center for Family Philanthropy becomes a new offering for donors and their families. Newton and Morgan counties join the Foundation’s local funds. Total grants top $137 million.

2008

The Foundation launches Grants to Green in collaboration with Southface and the Kendeda Fund to provide environmental knowledge and funding to strengthen nonprofits. Grantmaking focus shifts to general operating support and nonprofit effectiveness as key priorities in sustaining the region’s nonprofits.

2010

Foundation receives more than $137 million to new and existing funds. We award $70 million in grants and support to nonprofits locally, nationally and internationally. What a way to celebrate our 60th anniversary!

2013

Foundation receives more than $195 million to new and existing funds—the highest in the history of the organization.

2015

The Community Foundation moves to a new home in downtown Atlanta: One Ninety One Peachtree Tower.

2016

The Foundation announces a bold three-year strategic plan.


The Community Foundation has come a long way since 1951. And so has the Atlanta area. But we’re only getting started. Because there’s so much left to do. So many more communities to strengthen. Lives to change. Connections to make. With the help of generous philanthropists like you, we can keep the passion going and growing. Join us now.