Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund
Celebrating a legacy of giving
Inspired by the lifetime legacy of giving by David and Frances Brain, the Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund supports nonprofits that benefit vulnerable and underserved communities. The Fund addresses primary needs – clothing, education, food, healthcare and shelter – to enhance the well-being of individuals living in the metro Atlanta counties of Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton and Gwinnett.
Formerly known as the Frances Hollis Brain Foundation, the Fund also continues to further its mission in Kentucky at the Blue Grass Community Foundation and in Maine at the Maine Community Foundation.
For more information about grants through the Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund of the Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta; and grants in Kentucky, please contact:
Erin Drury Boorn
Senior Philanthropic Officer
David and Frances Brain
Happily married for 68 years, David Brain and Frances Hollis Brain were high school sweethearts from Cleveland, Ohio. During their life together, their love, support and care for each other was obvious to everyone they met and they prized a balance of family, community, church and self. Their family lived in Baltimore, Boston and Kentucky, but a common thread was always the spirit of giving. They believed that those who are blessed with resources have a responsibility to share them with those who are less fortunate.
David and Frances created the Frances Hollis Brain Foundation in 1993 as a tangible expression of their values and to encourage future generations of the family to make a difference through philanthropy. Frances passed away in 2012 and David joined her in 2016. The foundation transitioned to become the Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund as a celebration of their legacy of giving.
2017 Grant Cycle Timeline
- Friday, June 16 – Organizations complete the online Organizational Profile, Common Grant Application and submit the Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund inquiry form
- Friday, June 30 – Selected organizations are contacted and invited to complete their Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund Grant Application Supplement
- Friday, July 28 – Frances Hollis Brain Foundation Fund Grant Application Supplement due
- August 16 – August 25 – Site visits (via phone or in person) are conducted as needed
- Thursday, November 30 – Applicants are notified of funding decision
Please sign up for the Community Foundation’s email newsletter to receive future notifications about this program.